Business Studies BTEC National (Level 3) – Extended Certificate – Equivalent to one A Level
Aims of the Course
BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate is designed to provide specialist work-related qualifications in the areas of Business Studies. The course focuses on:
- Developing the knowledge, understanding and skills needed for working and managing resources in today’s workplace.
- The role of the various sectors of economic activity; their inter-dependence and the role of the section/department by which they are structured and how the overall organisational structure contributes to the realisation of aims and objectives.
- Providing opportunities for students to focus on the development of the major key skills and the wider key skills in a technological context, such as improving own performance, working with others and problem solving.
- Providing opportunities for students to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.
Units of study
The course consists of four units studied over two years:
Unit 1: Exploring Business – Mandatory (90 GLH) – Externally Assessed Exam – You will:
- Explore the features of different businesses and analyse what makes them successful.
- Investigate how businesses are organised.
- Examine the environment in which businesses operate.
- Examine business markets.
- Investigate the role and contribution of innovation and enterprise to business success.
Unit 2: Developing a Marketing Campaign – Mandatory (90 GLH) – Externally Assessed CA – You will:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of marketing principles, concepts, processes, key terms, data sources and definitions.
- Analyse marketing information and data, demonstrating the ability to interpret the potential impact and influence on marketing campaigns.
- Evaluate evidence to make informed judgements about how a marketing campaign should be planned, developed and adapted in light of changing circumstances.
- be able to develop a marketing campaign with appropriate justification, synthesising ideas and evidence from several sources to support arguments.
Unit 3: Personal and Business Finance – Mandatory (120 GLH) – Internally Assessed Coursework – You will:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of business and personal finance principles, concepts, key terms, functions and theories.
- Apply knowledge and understanding of financial issues and accounting processes to real-life business and personal scenarios.
- Analyse business and personal financial information and data, demonstrating the ability to interpret the potential impact and outcome in context.
- Evaluate how financial information and data can be used, and interrelate, in order to justify conclusions related to business and personal finance.
Unit 8: Recruitment and Selection Process – Optional (60 GLH) – Internally Assessed Coursework – You will:
- Examine how effective recruitment and selection contribute to business success.
- Undertake a recruitment activity to demonstrate the processes leading to a successful job offer.
- Reflect on the recruitment and selection process and your individual performance.
The BTEC Level 3 Business Studies course provides opportunities for full-time students to gain a nationally recognised vocationally specific qualification to enter employment in the field of business/economics or progress to higher education vocational qualifications such as BTEC Higher National Diploma in Business / Economics / Management.