History fires students’ curiosity and imagination, moving and inspiring them with the dilemmas, choices and beliefs of people in the past. It helps students develop their own identities through an understanding of history at personal, local, national and international levels. It helps them to ask and answer questions of the present by engaging with the past.
What will your child learn in our subject?
In Year 7 students will learn about the Romans and the Middle Ages. In Year 8 we move on to the Early Modern period – the Tudors and Stuarts, the Civil War, and the British Empire.
GCSE History students will study 4 topics in their new GCSE 9-1. These include: Medicine Through Time, The Cold War, Elizabeth I and Weimar and Nazi Germany.
- Positive Progress 8 scores for the last 2 years.
- Results improving year on year with a fantastic first year of GCSE 9-1
- 3 students achieving Bs in this year’s A Levels – all studying at their first choice university.
- 2 students achieving a GCSE Grade 9 in the first year of the new grading system – both studying at Marriotts Sixth Form.
- 100% pass rate at A Level.
Extra-Curricular Activities and Trips
The History team are planning a number of trips – both local and overseas including an annual Battlefields Trip to Belgium and a four day trip to Berlin.
What is special about us?
In class students will develop the transferable skills of research, presentation and critical argument, all vital in leading towards professional careers. We also start GCSE skills right from Year 7 to ensure every student has the opportunity to succeed to their fullest potential in their Year 11 GCSE exams.